Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy New Year

I know I'm a little late, but Happy New Year everybody!

I decided to shy away from New Year's Resolutions this year. I don't have anything against them, I just don't have anything new to resolve to do... the weightloss issue is kind of always there and I am proceeding with my other goals just fine, so I don't really have anything specific I feel like I need a resolution to acheive. And, historically, I'm not good at keeping resolutions anyway...

I feel like this year is going to be a great year. I don't know why exactly, but I feel like I'm going to make great progress in some areas that I've needed to since childhood, specifically, how I feel about myself. Some of the other great things to look forward to are a visit from my sister in Feb.; then she comes home for good and all in July!! Yay!! I am so proud of her for what she has accomplished! I know for a fact that I would not have it in me to do what she's done. I am in awe of her courage! But I have missed her terribly and will be so happy to have her home (even if it's in Texas!)!!

I am also going to be starting school in the Fall. I will be taking some pre-requisite undergraduate courses to prepare to enter a Master's program in Speech-Language Pathology. I am SOOOO looking forward to this. One, I need a change. Two, I need a career, not just a job. Three, I need to put myself in a position where I can actually FEEL like I can support a family. I just applied for admission yesterday, and I haven't officially been accepted yet, but I'm not at all worried about it.

Switching Gears...
Today is Sunday and we had a cool meeting where President Monson came to speak to us. I am in a singles ward and every 2nd Sunday of the month, we combine with two other single's wards in our area. We usually have pretty neat speakers for our 2nd sunday meetings, but this was especially cool! He was really relaxed and down to earth and funny. As much as any Prophet can be, I expect.

We all stood up when he entered and he waved and said, "Hello." to everyone. He shook hands with those he passed and even commented on one guy's plain yellow tie. He held up his tie and said how much he liked the color yellow. He then walked up onto the stand and walked along the row shaking hands with the Bishoprics from the 3 wards, when he got to the other end, he started walking off the stand and said, "well, goodbye." Then turned around and said "just kidding," walked back to the seat reserved for him. I know it may not sound like much, but considering the source, it was pretty hilarious.

He shared some great stories, as always, and a couple of the things he said that stood out to me were, and he quoted the following three times, which to me means it's highly significant: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thy own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (I had to look it up later - Proverbs 3:5-6). He said, "Put your trust in the Lord and do what you think He would have you do."

Another thing he emphasized was "effort." He mentioned this once, then brought it up again two more times. He said that nothing comes without effort. Said another way, everything worthwhile comes with effort and not to be afraid of work. He said to work hard and then take advantage of opportunities that arise. He re-stated, "Work will win, when wishy-washy wishing won't."

Lastly, and this is hard for me to mention, he reminded the brethren to date. (Ugghhh.. knife in the heart...) It's something I've been thinking a lot about lately, which I guess is a good sign. It's been so hard for me to put myself out there in that way. It touches too many personal things for me to mention the "why," but suffice to say, dating is not easy for me. I know others would say, "hey, what a great New Years Resolution - to date more this year!" (or in my case, to date - at all!!) But no, given my past experience with my lack of success in keeping resolutions, I don't think this is one for me. But like I said, I've been thinking about it alot, which is also scary, because I think it is my subconscious's way of telling me that I'm ready to face this challenge. We'll see...

In spite of that, I think 2010 will be a great year. So, rather than this just being a trite social custom, and in the spirit of self-fulling prophecy, Have a HAPPY New Year everyone - I know I will!

5 comments:

The Bingham's said...

You're awesome Micah!! Sounds like things are going great. So happy for you.

Delia D'Nell said...

I can't believe I missed him! ahhh!

Rebecca Foster said...

Aw, thanks Micah. I am looking forward to coming home too!

My only New Year's resolution is to stop using emoticons. It's time we admitted how stupid they are.

Other than that, I am going to just keep on keeping on.

Thauna said...

Happy New Year, Micah!!! This year feels like a change in something to me...maybe when I really make a change. Like keeping one of my resolutions.

Kirsten Brockner said...

Thanks for sharing! Very uplifting and what a great experience..