Friday, January 15, 2010

Today's community service

Here's a comment someone made to me today: "I bet when you woke up this morning you didn't think you'd be sorting through women's underwear!"

That was a totally true statement! Indeed, when I woke up this morning I did NOT have any idea that I would be sorting through women's underwear!! But that's what happened!

So, our office particiapted in some community service today. We spent a couple of hours at a place called the Junior League of Salt Lake and assisted with their affiliate program "Women Helping Women." In a nutshell, they take donated women's professional attire and give them to women with low incomes (who qualify) so that they can have professional clothes to interview and find jobs (working in a Recruitment office, it was yet one more way we could try to help people find jobs!).

Anyway, assignments were random and I ended up on the panty line... (I repeat RANDOM) If you're like my friend, Amber, who cringed at the thought of what I was doing, let me just clarify right now: all the underwear was PURCHASED and not donated!! (They actually don't accept donated underwear... slips, yes, "lingerie," no.) Others were opening the newly PURCHASED underwear and we were bagging them individually and writing the sizes on the baggies (he he he, I'm chuckling to myself as I write this because the word "baggies" could have several meanings here!! Sorry, I know that's not polite!).

Of course, everyone had a great time making fun of me (I work with a majority of women) and commenting on how much I "seemed" to be enjoying myself. To be honest, I was enjoying myself, but ONLY because I was serving others. Trust me, seeing a bunch of granny-panties does nothing for me!

Either way, for good or bad (I'm sure bad), pictures were taken and memories were made.

It makes me wonder though... what will tomorrow bring?

2 comments:

The Bingham's said...

HAHAHA!!

Maili said...

LOL Love it Micah! you make me laugh.. you were a good sport about it though, and might I mention, you did a FABULOUS job!! :]