Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Birthday babble

I've heard people say, "there are no stupid questions." I totally disagree. Some questions are stupid. For example, every year a few days after my birthday I hear, "It was your birthday? Why didn't you tell me?" Stupid question. For a small education in social etiquette, here's my answer:

First of all, It's very rare for this to be brought up appropriately when it's not the actual topic of discussion. "What did you have for dinner last night?" "It's my birthday tomorrow."

Second, I've known people who have announced their brithday and, let's just say, they are people who usually don't leave the best impression (greedy, awkard, lonely, desparate, sad, etc.). I don't want to be one of those people.

Third, and what's REALLY stupid about this question is that even when we know why we would never announce our birthday unbidden (because of reasons one and two) WE STILL ASK THE QUESTION OF OTHERS!! (Admit it, you've said it to someone at least once in your life!)

Yes, it was my birthday last Thursday and I didn't tell you... because I'm not lame.

p.s. now that I've told you it's the 21st of January I expect you to write that in your calendars... and don't ask me next year why I didn't tell you it was my birthday - I'm telling you now!!!

No comments: