Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Shin Splints and things you should know about them

1. I've never had them before and didn't think they could be THAT bad... I was wrong.
2. I thought fat people could not get them, because (lets be honest) we don't have the mobility to be THAT active... I was wrong.
3. I thought when other people complained of having them, they were maybe showing off a little, because they WERE active enough to get them... I was wrong.

So I am continuing my exercise goal of walking (brisk and with intervals) for an hour two to three times per week. My legs have ached before, you know, now that I'm actually using them. But today is the first time I've gotten shin splints. I guess maybe that's a good sign - that I'm feeling well enough and that I'm able to push myself that much harder. I know I need to do more stretching and strengthening of those muscles... but dang I'm in pain!!

Also, I think whoever came up with the name "shin splints," didn't really capture the essence of how shin splints actually feel. Here are some of my alternatives: Shin Daggers, Shin Passing a Kidney Stone, Shin Giving Birth, Shin Spinal Tap, etc.

1 comment:

Rebecca Foster said...

They do hurt so bad, but luckily, they go away the stronger those muscles get. So, congrats on working hard enough to get them! And, it'll get easier.