Monday, December 8, 2008

Speech and Singing

So it’s been a while since I last updated this, but at least it hasn’t been six months!! My fans have been asking, and I hate to disappoint. (p.s. I could pay my fans five dollars each and only be out five bucks!!) :) Anyway, here’s what’s going on with me…

I have decided that I want to pursue a career in Speech-Language Pathology (SLP). This is totally unrelated to my current job in HR, but I think this is the right direction for me. I have not been as happy in HR overall as I hoped to be. While Intermountain Healthcare is a great place to work, I’ve realized that I don’t want to move up in HR in general. I should add, that I’ve suspected this was the case for some time, but since I didn’t have any other direction and/or options I just stayed with HR. My mom was telling me about someone she knows who does Speech Therapy and she said that I might be good at it. As I looked into it initially, I became excited and realized that this is a great direction for me to go. I’ve been feeling stuck because I want a career, not just a job and I don’t feel I want to make HR my career. Too much politics, and bureaucracy, and not enough helping people. What appeals most to me about SLP is the one-on-one interaction and meeting diverse people. So I’ve enrolled in a GRE Prep course for the Spring and I’ll apply for Graduate School as soon as my scores are available. I am hoping to get in at the U, but I’ll probably apply to BYU as well, just in case. I am so excited to start that it’s hard for me to stay motivated at my current job. But I will definitely need to work while I go through school so I need to just buckle down and stick with it. Which I can do.

So, I did a dumb thing. I volunteered to help our ward choir director with the Christmas Program. I’m pretty sure I said I could help with a quartet/duet… yeah…. Now I’m singing a solo. I haven’t ever sung a flat out solo. I think the last time I was close was in Elementary when I sang one verse of Whitney Houston’s “One Moment in Time.” I sucked. David Price and Raimey Westwood were awesome (they sang the other two verses)! I learned my lesson and decided to stick with “choir” singing… where no one could actually hear me. So now I am in a quandary. I thought about it and decided I would go through with it. No matter what happens at least I’ll know that I did something to get out of my comfort zone and try something new. I am scared… nay, terrified even, but feel like whatever talent I may have, I should at least attempt to develop… so here goes! I’ll be singing “Once in Royal David’s City” this Sunday as part of the Christmas program. PRAY FOR ME!!!!

1 comment:

Thauna said...

Yeah!!! I'm a FAN....where's my five bucks??? Just kidding. You're going to be great on Sunday singing, but I'll still pray for you. I'm so excited about your new career plans, you have so much to offer people and I believe this a going to be a great path for you!

T.