Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The oxymoron that is "Country Music"

So here's some background: I don't like country music. Please read on.

My co-worker's know this about me. Still they try to "convert" me. The last I knew Country Music is a style of music, not a religion. Anyway, so one of my co-workers (don't worry Maili I won't tell anyone it was you!) allowed a country song to play in my presence. When I asked my usual question, "Is this country?" (knowing full well that it is and that it should be stopped), she replied, somewhat energetically, that it was, but that I HAD to listen to it because it was so good! Fast Forward to a few minutes (or is it hours) later when I pick up on the chorus about someone who is in obvious pain and has decided that we all need to hear about it. I offered the following insight to my co-worker (who shall Maili go un-named), "Maybe she's hurting so much because someone is forcing her to listen to Country Music." To which, my co-worker replies, "No, it's about how her husband died, and that's why she's sad." (As if that's supposed to make it okay.) I said, "Wow, a country song that's also depressing - that's a new combination!" To which my co-worker responded (swiping at me in the air in frustration), "It's sad - it's good."

Could that be a new advertising campaign? Country Music - so sad, it's good!

So sad - it’s good… hmmm… I’m still working that one out... I agree with the first part of that phrase anyway...

2 comments:

Maili said...

The reason why it is "So sad... it is good." is because I can relate to A LOT of country songs. It is people singing about their everyday life.. That is how come it is so good! It is good to know that you aren't the only one feeling that.. I guess that is why I like country music! Most of the time it has good language unless you get to Toby Keith and his "Taliban Song" and some other patriotic ones. It is a style of music and like organic chemistry either you get it (or like it) or not. :] Someday you will be converted I have hope! haha

Thauna said...

Aww, MJ....I agree with you whole-heartedly on this one! The daughter and I were watching Dancing with the Stars and Brad Paisley performed...I was shocked at the words, funny but what the heck?!?!?

"I want to take you for a walk in the sticks...
I want to check you for ticks"...something like that anyway. I had to rewind and make sure I hear that right. I'm still laughing about it.