Wednesday, October 22, 2008

DC Trip

We'll, I'm back! I had a great trip to Washington DC! Good news! I did not get kicked off the plane and I did not have to buy an extra seat. It was still a little cramped, but not as bad as it has been in the past. Losing 60 pounds has helped, but I also realized that I have been complacent and so that was a good reminder that I need to keep going. Also, I didn't do too bad eating-wise. Other than the first time I ate chinese food - it tasted good, but that was little consolation later... two words: Montezuma's revenge! (Or in this case "General Tso's revenge! ha ha!)

Anyway, I'm still going through all the photo's I took trying to sort out the ones I really REALLY like to post on my Flikr page. (I do have some posted already and you can see them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28687426@N04/) I'll keep adding photos as I'm able to.

People at work have been asking me what my favorite part was. I think it was just being there. I would love to have the time and money to travel all over the world. I always get so jealous listening to other people's trips, or looking at other people's photos of places I want to go. When I was there I remember thinking, "wow! I'm finally here seeing these things for myself!" I guess that's kind of lame, but that was the best part for me.

Kathryn was a great travelling companion and Michelle and Lauretz were excellent hosts! How nice that they have two guests rooms so that I didn't have to make Kat sleep on the couch! :) I loved that we could all be so comfortable around each other and say whatever was on our minds. I also hated that we could all be so comfortable around each other and say whatever was on our minds!! (You three KNOW what I'm talking about!)

The only downside to the trip was on the plane coming home... when I opened my bag and couldn't find my cell phone! I felt disabled somehow! In my mind I ran through every disaster scenario I could think of of where I might have lost it. Turns out, I didn't "lose" it, I only left it behind; which is still pretty dang annoying! (Thank you, again Michelle for shipping it to me!)

The weather was fantastic and it wasn't too crowded. We got to see all of the things we really wanted to see and then some! We hit the monuments (both during the day and night) and some of the museums. We also went to Annapolis and Philidelphia (I would have married you if I could philly cheesesteak sandwich!)

I know we were mostly in the "touristy" places, but I really liked it out there and, if it weren't for the humidity in the summer, I might even consider moving out there.

The holocaust museum was an interesting experience. It takes you through the events chronologically. When we were at the point where the Jews were being forced out of their homes and into Ghetto's, then concentration camps, the Security Guard told us we needed to leave and forced us all to the exits, without any explanation. The irony was not lost on me. In a very small (I mean exceedingly small) way it suddenly gave me a taste of the confusion and fear the so many people must have felt as they were forced away from their homes and families. (Apperantly a bag was left unattended and they were clearing the area as a precaution.) They let us back in, but we opted not to go back to where we left off. The scariest thing to me, after viewing the exhibit was how quickly it all started and ended... all within about 12 years. It's even more intriguing to contemplate the events of WWII and the holocaust when compared to the prophecies regarding the Jews...

On Friday we watched National Treasure and it was pretty cool to see all the places we had just visited depicted in the movie. (Then we watched Trekkies and some people are just sad...) All in all, it was fantastic and really hard to come home!

I loved you philly cheesesteak sandwich... you will be missed!!

2 comments:

Thauna said...

Micah, I'm so glad you are blogging....I want to read more!

Oh, btw, last week I wrote a long comment and then it disappeared into cyberspace....can't remember what I said. ;o)

T.

Michelle said...

You are invited back anytime for Philly Cheesesteak. We've made a couple more trips up there since you guys left and Lauritz is trying to find a reason to go up again. Luckily his sister is doing an art show up there next month so we will be going up a couple more times. I will say hello to Pat's for you.