Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fitting in...

So on my drive into work this morning I passed a guy that was jogging and I thought, "I am not a jogger, but I bet that would be fun." That got me started thinking about where I fit in. I’ve been fighting negative labels my entire life. I’ve often expressed to people that I grew up in a world where I didn’t fit in. When I say “fit in” I mean that literally. I didn’t fit into the desks at school, I didn’t fit into the clothes other kids my age were wearing, I couldn’t go to friends party’s because there wasn’t room in the car, etc. It’s taken me quite a long time to remove all the negative labels I was both given and took on. But I was thinking, that while some labels are bad, some are good. Labels like, Humble, Faithful, Obedient, Kind, etc. I guess those are also more like traits, but you get my drift. I was also thinking in terms of hobby’s and occupations by which people label themselves, like jogging. Or for example, someone say’s, “I’m a doctor.” That’s a label, as well as an occupation and it’s how that person defines themselves. I don’t really have that. I work in HR. I don’t think that defines me, especially since I am wanting to change careers. So I don’t feel like I fit-in in HR. Where do I fit in? I’m not a doctor, lawyer, artist, musician, athlete, mechanic, golfer, skydiver, accountant, manager, farmer, etc.

I guess what I’m really saying, is I don’t know which label to choose for myself. I am finally at a place in my life where I realize that I choose what defines me. I just haven’t learned yet, what that should be. What is it I really want to be? I don’t know. I guess I’ve been living so long trying to get away from bad labels that I never learned how to gain good labels… Where do I fit in?

My second question is, isn't a little bit early to be thinking about this kind of stuff?

1 comment:

Maili said...

You are a GREAT Cook! (Hence the Micah's winter Stew), You are the life of the office- it was dull when you were in DC! You are a hard worker... and you are an HR Generalist.. not sure HR, there is a BIG difference! You are VERY smart, thoughtful, fun, and a great friend! You are just an all around great person Micah! I am sure I am not the only one that thinks that!