Thursday, March 25, 2010

Updates and thoughts

Since there are no comments on my Kefi post, I am going to take that as a No - which makes sense, now that I think about it. If I can't find it, why should I ask anyone else to tell me where it is? Oh well! I'm sure it'll turn up eventually.

On the plus side, I have news about school. I was accepted at the University of Utah, again. This time for a 2nd Bachelors in Communication Disorders. I will be taking a couple of years worth of classes and then applying for the Master's Program. I am SO flipping excited!! I never thought I would be this excited to go back to school, but I am. (I am also taking that as a really good sign that I am doing the right thing.)  I start this Fall and, frankly, can't start soon enough.

It's strange, some days I'm happy at work (probably because I know it's not permanent) and other times I feel like it's the worst drudgery known to mankind (probably because it's not rewarding in the ways that I need). I felt bad when my co-worker T. read a previous post where I said it was a job and not a career, and T. said it IS a career for them (sorry T!). Well no offense to anyone in HR. I've done it for 8-9 years and while T. was right, it can be a career, I just meant that it isn't a long-term career option for me.

I think I will like Speech Therapy for a ton of reasons, but one of the most important is that it's a career where I can help people, but not earn a lot of accolades, if that makes sense. I like the thought of helping people, but then having them be able to look back and feel good about the hard work THEY did to improve.

I imagine the most rewarding thing out there is to help someone else realize their own potential. I don't feel like I had that in my own life. That's not to say that there weren't people to help me along the way, because there most certainly were. I  just never felt that I consistently had anyone in my corner, rooting for me. I felt like I've struggled my whole life to understand why I should improve when I don't feel that anyone else around me cared if I did or not. I know I'm hoppin' the train to Martyrsville here, and I don't mean to do that.

I blame perception. There were (and are) people who care about seeing me improve, but for a long time I couldn't see it and that made me feel pretty worthless and lonely. It's been a hard thing to "learn" how to feel worth and I still have a lot to learn. But I'm much better than I was and that's partly due to the wonderful people who have influenced my life. I know that I could not be where I am today without the love and support of family and friends (so THANK YOU to everyone reading this!) and I also know that my Father in Heaven has orchestrated every good thing that has happened to me and has guided me to meet those who have loved and supported me. I really feel like I am surrounded by the best people on Earth and I know it's not through any merit of mine.

To whomever might be reading this: Thanks for being there helping me when I've needed you.

7 comments:

Dave said...

So I'm glad to you know you've been blogging (I guess I'm admitting this is the first time I've seen your blog). Anyway, congratulations on moving toward your ideal career and hope all is well for you.

Marianne said...

Hey, I was going to comment that my kefi is lost under a big pile of dirty laundry and diapers, but I was in a hurry when I read that post and then I forgot. Sorry!

I'm glad that you are going to get started in a new career. Things always seem so much better once you know the direction you are going to go- even if you aren't there yet. I hope that your time in school passes quickly!

The Bingham's said...

GO MICAH!!! You rock, as always.

Anonymous said...

Micah, I know that feeling of being lonely. We all get it sometimes, some of us more than others. Even when we are constantly surrounded by people, we still feel lonely. I feel for you because I know what it's like and I know that my brother suffers from it too. I just wanted you to know that I always thought you were an amazing person. I should have told you earlier. Good luck with going back to school. You are right. If you feel good about going back to school, it's probably where you should be going. And there's nothing better than serving others that will make you forget about yourself. Good luck with school and work. You are loved!

Rebecca Foster said...

Well, I have to admit I don't think I completely understand what a Kefi is. Is it like a mojo? Sorry, I not so smart sometimes!

I am so glad you are looking forward to starting school. It's important to have things we look forward to. And I'm glad you know a lot of people are pushing for you to succeed. We are! Um, maybe that should be pulling for you? My Engrish not so good.

Thauna said...

I'm SO in your corner!!! Can you hear me cheering??

John said...

Hey Micah!

I tend to be more of a voyeur on blogs but I wanted to reply on this one.

I'm very glad to hear you found a passion to pursue! It took me more than 40 years to find mine but it's great now that it's been identified!

I think you're approaching it with the right attitude and you'll succeed because of it.

Way to go! Stay true to the path and the journey is well worth it!