Tuesday, March 16, 2010

misc

I don't really have anything to say. I just didn't want to look at my orange sweater picture anymore.

That picture does remind me, I was going to show you some Chinese Lanterns that I made when our work celebrated Chinese New Year:










There are a couple that aren't in this photo because I gave them away. But the one on the far right is my favorite. I had a lot of fun playing with different designs (the ones that are missing are more square), but I will probably never do that again. It took a lot of time and trying to figure out how to get the tissue paper inside was a challenge.

Since I'm online, I guess I'll just keep typing my thoughts...

I had a rough day at work today. I won't go into details, but I didn't feel very supported and it kind of ticked me off. I am dealing with it and trying to just let it go, but I'll admit, it hurt a little. The only reason I mention it, is because it brought on a HUGE oreo craving! I don't usually even like oreo's that much, but it was all I could think about. I'd just read "YOU On A Diet," so I was totally aware that my emotional state was driving this craving, but just kowing that didn't make it go away. Actually, it still hasn't. But then I prayed and thought about all the reason's why I am trying NOT to eat that stuff and it helped my resolve. It didn't take the craving away, but it helped me decide to go to the gym, rather than the store... which was a mini-victory for me today. But I still want the friggin' cookie...

One thing I've been trying to do is connect what I want in my future with my choices today. I know that probably sounds lame and remedial, but it occured to me the other day that I've spent most of my life wanting better, but not really doing anything about it. (Picture me sitting slouched on my comfortable couch with a bag of oreos perched on my tummy mindlessly inserting cookie after cookie into my mouth wondering when I'm going to lose weight... Okay, maybe don't picture that because that's just embarassing, but you get my point.) Now, when I'm faced with a craving, or I think I'm too tired to exercise, I think about what I want my life to be in the future and I ask, "is eating this bag of oreos going to help me get to that future, or take away from it?" The answer is obvious and it helps me keep perspective, and to realize that 9 times out of 10, I really don't want to eat badly or avoid exercise, but I just need to focus on correcting whatever is affecting me emotionally at the moment.

It's not fool-proof by any means, but it's helped. It definitely takes practice. But if it influences even a few decisions, then I figure I'll be better off in the long run because every little bit helps, or so I've heard it said.

Does anyone else have those kinds of struggles? Or does anyone else have any tips that work for them? Please share...

3 comments:

Heidi Henderson said...

MICAH!! How I miss you and we need to get together! Loved the chinese New year lanterns, those are awesome! What talent you have! and your Oreo story reminds me of my life. Way to go on going to the gym! Proud of you!!!! You are amazing and never forget that!

The Bingham's said...

I think that emotional eating is awful!! I hate it. I know that cousin Lynette is a weight watcher guru, so maybe see if she has some good advice. She looks great!! She even ran a half marathon last year. Keep up the good work, it is worth it!!

Thauna said...

You are an inspiration to me! I need a 12-step program for Oreos...the golden ones are my kryptonite!