Sunday, December 13, 2009

Random Topics Post: Change, Snow, Singing

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted anything for so long! I put the ME in LAME! :)

CHANGE
I've been thinking a lot about change. I guess it's an appropriate time of year for that. I was at a Stake Conference where one of the members of the Seventy (I think it was Elder Snow) was talking about three different "levels" of Christmas that he had noticed. The first being the fun of presents and Santa and carols, etc. The second being the quiet reflection of the Savior's birth, the hymns (not just Christmas songs, but hymns) that reflect the nature of why we celebrate Christmas. The third being looking at the full mission of the Savior. Not just knowing that he was born, but WHY he was born. I was really struck by that and it got me thinking about how the Savior's mission, or his gift, is really all about change.

Because of the Savior's Atonement, I can change. That's a pretty powerful thing to me and one I don't appreciate often enough. The irony to me is that His gift remains effectual throughout this life. In other words, the Atonement is the gift of change that never changes. It's always available to us. I love that. I need it, more often than I am willing to admit.

That doesn't make it easy though. Change is hard. I guess that's why it's so important.

SNOW
Okay, enough serious stuff. We had a huge snowstorm about a week ago and I got a picture of one of our picnic tables at work:



I thought that was bad, then someone sent me a picture of their backyard patio in Kearns - YIKES:



I hate snow sometimes. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty and we need the water, but dang! I guess I mostly just hate driving in it. I learned how to drive in the snow just before I got my license, but while I as on my mission I almost ran off a mountain road in icy conditions and ever since then I've been freaked out at driving in it.

I actually cancelled a Home Teaching appointment today, because I was so worried about it. I hope they can forgive me!!

SINGING
I'm glad I got to sing in church today. I sang in a quartet with some truly talented brothers and felt like I kept throwing them off. I was feeling kind of bad about it, but then decided that 1) They are way too nice to make me feel bad about it, and 2) if I was really that terrible, then they won't ask me to sing again, right? I have to say, though, for as unprepared as I felt, I really think it went okay. I feel good about the effort I put into it and I'm glad got to be a part of the program. Everyone did such a great job - I'm amazed at the talent we have in our ward.

Speaking of performing...
I just realized that I have only a week left until our concerts. I am really not ready. I thought I would be, but I'm kind of nervous. I joined the Salt Lake Symphonic Choir about a month ago, which was halfway through their winter rehearsal schedule. So basically, I was only beginning to learn the music when everyone else was starting to memorize! Now I'm not so sure joining when I did was such a good idea. I've enjoyed it, but performing makes me nervous.

Wish me luck!

p.s. for those of you who wanted to know:
Saturday, December 19, 2009 @ St. Thomas More Catholic Church (3015 Creek Road
Sandy, UT 84093-6575), starts at 8:00pm
Sunday, December 20, 2009 @ Assembly Hall on Temple Square, starts at 8:30pm
(Both concerts are free.)

1 comment:

John said...

I'm sure you'll be fine, cuz! The best performers in the world get nervous. I believe the appropriate term is still "break a leg!"