Sunday, September 27, 2009

Not a lost cause...

I've learned something about myself recently. I thought I was a lost cause. I'm not sure I know how to describe what I mean by that, but I want to try.

I thought that when the Lord makes something, He makes it the way He wants it and our task is to either accept it or reject it. Take, as an example, the Plan of Salvation. He presented this plan to us and said we had a choice: We could accept it, or reject it; it was up to us to choose.

Somehow, I learned that this concept applies to me. Heavenly Father made me the way that I am, and I can either accept it, or reject it. As a result of this, I have never really accepted myself. I never really found myself acceptable; I have too many faults, too many weaknesses, too many sins, etc. I've never been comfortable with myself, and as I went out into the world, I found that I was not acceptable to the world either. The world doesn't treat people like me kindly - being overweight is not something that people just "overlook" and for years, I was reminded of that daily - how different and unacceptable I was. I believed others because I thought they were re-affirming what I already new to be true. But over the past couple of years, realizing that the fruit of self-loathing has not led to change or happiness, I've been trying to accept myself - all of myself, the good and the bad. It's been a very difficult challenge and some days are better than others.

Every time I exercise I feel ashamed and embarrassed. That may sound weird to some people. I have never known why I feel that way, but I interpreted that to mean that I was doing something wrong by exercising. I felt that Heavenly Father did not want me to exercise, because He wants me to accept myself the way I am. In other words, "God made me this way, and I can either accept it or reject it." The only problem with that, is that I don't want to "accept" being overweight. How can he ask me to accept something I hate so much and which is, in reality, bad for me. It's not healthy to be overweight and it negatively effects every area of my life. Nevertheless, I have tried to do just that - just accept me for who I am right now. It hasn't been easy.

As I pondered why I would feel embarrassed and ashamed of doing something good for myself a phrase came to my mind that gave me understanding. The phrase was, "...because it's too late for me." Meaning I could try to lose weight if I wanted, but it wasn't really going to work, because I am the way God made me and it's too late for me to do anything about it. In essence I told myself that I was defeated before I even began to try. Well no wonder I felt ashamed and embarrassed - I felt guilt for wanting to change something that was already "written in stone." Other phrases came to mind, "lost cause," "too late to change," "no use," etc.

I was so grateful for that understanding, because for the first time in my life, I was able to question that belief and ask myself, why would I feel that I was a lost cause? It stems from the belief that Heavenly Father made me this way and I can either accept it or not. If I accepted it, then that would mean that I have to accept myself the way "God made me," and that I could not change it! Or, if I rejected it, then I was rejecting my Heavenly Father - either way, I lose.

But I am NOT a lost cause. It is NOT too late for me to change. Change is the nature of why I am here. I still think it's important to accept myself, but it's just as important to accept that I have the need and the opportunity to change, as much as it is to accept me for who I am.

I really do know that I am a child of God and he made me the way that I am... as a place to start!! I am not a lost cause after all; I am able and still have time to change. It is not too late for me... The Atonement is what gives me a chance to change and I can utilize it every single day. Change may not happen overnight, but it can happen daily, little by little. And that I can accept!

6 comments:

Rebecca Foster said...

I am so glad, Micah!

I realized recently that the Chinese word for 'understand' means 'perceive the path.' I think that's pretty neat. Understanding isn't just knowing, it's also knowing where to go from where you are. I think you have real understanding here.

I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Micah, This is your cousin JoAnn. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I am particularly touched by your thoughts today. I too share your struggles and shame with weight. Your blog really gave me something to think about. I love you and appreciate your willingness to share.

R Lowder said...

Hey Micah, it's your cousin Russ. As I started reading your recent blog I was troubled by what you said. Then as I finished it I was, thankfully, relieved. Our Heavenly Father created each of us with challenges to overcome - to prove to Him that we can be submissive to His will. Our challenges run the gamut, and we win some . . . and we lose some. I am so thankful that you see that how God made you is your starting point. I rejoice that you see that you can rise above your starting point, whatever that is. This knowledge and understanding will be so valuable to you. You see, at the end of the day becoming better than where we begin is actually what God intends for all of us. I love you. Go forth and conquer.

Liz said...

Micah, You are a great man. I am so grateful that you are my cousin. I think we all struggle with the weight issue in our family. I have a great husband who makes me feel good no matter how I feel or look each day. He accepts me as I am and who I am. Sometimes I ask "Why can't I?" We are all children of God and he loves us each soo much. Satan is the one who makes us feel unworthy of feeling his love or others love also. Keep each other in our prayers. I love you. See you in August!

Lanette - Never Give Up! said...

Hi Micah - Cousin Lanette here. I just got your blog address from Liz - nothing happens by chance... I'm so glad we're all connecting again.

I totally understand your struggle. It does seem to be a family thing. I'll try not to make this too long. I struggled for years with being overweight, feeling bad about it, feeling that I was being "worldly" to worry about it. The things you said ring really true for me. I continue to learn on my journey to maintaining my 65 pound weight loss (3 years now). Here are a few thoughts.

1. I don't think being overweight will keep anyone away from exaltation. I know wonderful people who died overweight - if they're not in the celestial kingdom I don't want to go...

2. I know that I can choose to be healthy and when I do I am better able to serve. First because I'm physically more able but also because I'm not held back by my self-loathing.

3. One of the challenges of earth life is the body. Learning to control it is a part of this life. For me it is important. Sounds like you've come to that conclusion too.

I could go on and on. I have learned a lot about weight loss. In fact, I now work for Weight Watchers, the way I lost my weight, because it uses Word of Wisdom principles and is about lifestyle not dieting. I would love to help you if you'd like. I work with about 150 people a week on weight loss. I also became a certified person trainer so I can help with exercise too. If you are interested send me an e-mail and we can communicate.

If you're not ready for that, I have some great quotes I'd love to send you that helped me decide to take my journey to health. I'm delighted that you're starting so young. Took me until I was almost 50. You can do this!!
my e-mail - Lanettehopkins@gmail.com I also have a healthy life blog with some videos - I haven't posted for awhile but you might find it interesting: http://hopkinz.com/lanette

Marianne said...

Micah! I just saw your comment on my blog. Sorry it took me so long! I don't have your email, but mine is mariannebr@yahoo.com
LOVED the muppets video!
Ps, I still really want that recipe for that stew. I am still thinking about it- it was so good! And it was a miracle. I was cured!