Sunday, December 23, 2012

Singing and resolutions

I've been contemplating taking voice lessons for a while now. Actually, I've always wanted to, but never seemed to have the time or the money. But I think I've decided, like most self-improvement related matters, they don't just happen on their own. And if not now, when? Well, apparently I was a few months too late. I was "roped" into singing in church for our Christmas program. It wasn't a big deal - just one verse of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day", but still, I lack a lot of confidence when it comes to singing in public. I was so nervous - my heart was racing; but it all went down okay and I feel like I did well enough not to worry about it anymore. It was also very good motivation to really get serious about taking voice lessons. I think I like singing enough that I would probably actually volunteer sometimes... maybe.

Different topic: New Year's Resolutions. I don't actually believe in them anymore. I've decided that what I do believe in are Resolutions to make a New Year. What I mean is, that it doesn't matter what time of year it is, if you have something in your life you want to change, make a resolution to change it. It doesn't have to be January 1st. What do February 10th, July 16th, and October 2nd all have in common? Nothing. But they work just as good as January 1 for deciding to make a change. Just make sure your resolution to change is the result of self-acceptance, not a feeling of being deficient in some way! (See previous post.)

No comments: