Friday, December 21, 2012

People are amazing

I had a great visit with an independent SLP (speech-language pathologist) yesterday. She gave me some great insight and feedback into concerns regarding a private practice. I'm not actually considering going into a private practice at the moment - I'll need several years of "field" experience before I would be comfortable doing that. But she was fantastic to give me some things to think about and really helpful.

I got in touch with her from a gentleman who is a rep for an Assistive Technology company, who came to speak to our class several weeks ago. I talked with him for a bit and mentioned my interests and he told me I had to talk to this lady he knew; he put me in touch with her and... fast forward to yesterday.

Then, I reached out to a friend I new in the singles ward some time ago who does Physical Therapy. In all the last few years I've had questions on some things, I never thought to ask him. I think I was afraid that he either wouldn't be willing to help, or not able to help since I don't have insurance. In any case, I finally decided to email him and ask him for some information. He said he couldn't help me... over email, but could I come down to the clinic he works at where we could talk about it more in detail? Of course I could come down! Are you kidding me? Honestly, I know it seems rediculous, but I sat stunned at his response. I was only hoping for some direction or information, but he offered to have me come see him in person - that to me is going way above and beyond and not at all what I expected.

I had to ask myself - why didn't I think of asking for his help sooner? Oh yeah... that little four-letter "F" word: FEAR.

I've been realizing that as I develop more self-confidence, which hasn't removed fear, but it has given me more courage, I am astounded at how willing people are to help - if I just ask. Sure, not everyone I ask will be able or willing to help, but how many people WILL be? I'll never know unless I have the courage to try. The fact that I've had these few people be willing to help me gives me more encouragement and makes me realize that people really do want to be helpful and people really are amazing.

No comments: