Friday, September 7, 2012

Sugar sickness

I hate being sick. I got sick last weekend after a sugar bender. It's a proven fact that sugar depresses the immune system. Apparently there were plenty of germy bugs just waiting for the chance to invade once my defenses were down.

Since changing my diet, I don't get sick all that often. Maybe a couple times a year and even then, it's usually not too severe. (But even a mild illness seems all the more horrible when you've been well for so long.) It's quite a contrast from how I used to be. I used to get sick at least 4 to 5 times a year. I even had what my sister termed a "basket of sickness." It was a basket that held my tissues, cough drops, medicine, etc. When I got sick I pulled out my basket of sickness and carried it with me everywhere I went. Now I can't remember the last time I even bought ibuprofen. I changed my diet for primarily weight issues, but it's nice to reflect and see that the overall health benefits I've gained have been very real.

One thing that hasn't changed is that when I'm sick I want to be babied. I go into helpless mode and all I want to do is sleep and have someone do everything for me. Once I was old enough to be on my own I didn't have that luxury and I still miss it. Sometimes.

1 comment:

James and Marianne said...

Sorry you are sick, Micah! If I had the recipe for the miracle stew (I think that's what you called it) I would make it for you and bring it over. You should post the recipe!

Did you hear that I'm expecting? Baby Cone #4 is due in March. Which is why I won't be going to Germany. Oh well.

Feel better soon!