Sunday, August 26, 2012

How to be okay with what you're not okay with

This is not a "how to" post and I'm definitely not giving advice...

So I've had this question for quite some time: How do I be okay with what I'm not okay with?

For example - I don't actually enjoy being fat. I'm not okay with it. I probably think about it more often than I care to (or should?) admit. But losing weight takes time, right? So I'm not going to lose weight overnight. Which means I need to "be okay" with being overweight until I lose it.

I hear you asking - why do I need to "be okay" with it? Because it's what I see in the mirror everyday and it's who I am. (Yes, I know it's just what I look like and that what I look like isn't supposed to be who I am, but in a way, it is who I am, because it's defined so much of my life's experiences...) I've had low self-esteem from being dissatisified with myself. Part of that dissatisfaction comes from being overweight. So I'm not okay with it, but it's going to take time to lose the weight. So how do I be okay with that? How do I say it's okay to be overweight while I'm trying to lose weight, when being overweight makes me feel bad about myself? That's like saying it's okay for me to feel bad about myself - which clearly, it isn't.

Does that make any kind of sense? Probably not. But it comes up a lot. Especially now in grad school when I feel overwhelmed and completely incompetent. I'm faced everyday with how I'm lacking and I'm forced to see my weaknesses, which makes me feel insecure and inferior. Add to that the weight issue and it's a perfect recipe for some imminent psychotic disorder, I'm sure.

I guess my point is, though, no one is perfect. We all have flaws and weaknesses and we all make mistakes. How do some people seem to be okay with that? With themselves? I even try to tell myself that I'm a "work in progress" and to be patient, but that doesn't mean much when I don't like what I see in the mirror or when my clothes don't fit right and my discomfort is a constant reminder of how dissastisifed I am with myself.

Any ideas on how to be okay with what you're not okay with?

No comments: